Zoning Board of Adjustment
The purpose of the Zoning Board of Adjustment is to act as an escape valve for the consideration of individual site requests for relief from the literal interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The board determines if the administrative official has created an error in the interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
- As necessary
- 1 Trophy Wood Drive
Trophy Club, TX 76262
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Town Planner Lisa Payne serves as the Board’s staff liaison, please email Lisa Payne with comments or questions.
The Zoning Board of Adjustment shall have the following powers:
- Administrative Review: To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official of the Town in the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Special Exceptions: To hear and decide Special Exceptions to the terms of this ordinance upon which the Board is required to pass under the Zoning Ordinance if any.
- Variances: To authorize upon appeal in special cases, such variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance as will not be contrary to the public interest, where, owing to special conditions, the literal enforcement of the provision of this ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship, so that the spirit of the Ordinance shall be observed and substantial justice is done.
The applicant must demonstrate:
- That special conditions and circumstances exist which make the land, structure or building unique from others in the same district.
- That the literal interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by other in the same district.
- That special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant. The hardship cannot be self-created.
- That granting of the variance will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the Zoning Ordinance to others in the same district.
- To permit in any district such modification of the requirements of the district regulations as the Board may deem necessary to secure an appropriate development of a lot where adjoining such lot on two (2) or more sides there are lots occupied by buildings which do not conform to the regulations of the district.
- Nonconforming Uses: To review the status of nonconforming uses and permit the reconstruction of nonconforming uses, the resumption of abandoned nonconforming uses, or the discontinuance or amortization of nonconforming uses.